Homemade Christmas Dog Treats
Makes about 5 dozen share some dog biscuits as Christmas Gifts!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup brewer’s yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup low-sodium canned chicken stock, plus more for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, yeast, and salt; set aside
2. Place oil in a large bowl. Add stock and flour mixture in three alternating batches, beginning and ending with stock. Mix well.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to about 3/8-inch thick. Shape biscuits using a dog-bone-shaped cookie cutter or by cutting around a store-bought dog bone with a butter knife.(Make homemade dog biscuits that are appropriate for your dog’s size.)
4. If desired, you can spell out your dog’s name or a holiday message in the dough with a toothpick (wet the toothpick first so it won’t stick to the homemade dog biscuits).
5. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
6. Bake homemade dog biscuits 10 minutes. Brush with stock; rotate baking sheets, and bake 10 minutes more. Turn off oven, leaving door closed. Let dog biscuits stand in oven to dry completely, about 1 1/2 hours. Wrap as a gift, or store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Hi Sydney the dog here. Like I said, tried to tell you how I was doing yesterday but my human pet, “mom” couldn’t get out of our own way. It’s that time of year again, Dog’s Christmas! I always know because it’s the only time of year mom starts cooking up a storm. She makes the most yummy homemade Christmas dog treats for me. Mom went to the gym today as usual, but not until supper time. Boy! I am glad she fed me first . She might have come home to a shriveled up pup. Actually, I’m not a puppy but if she wants to call me that, who am I to correct her.
This afternoon she took me for a walk. I can’t believe it’s December and Santa is coming. You may not know this but us dog’s catch on fast when it comes to homemade Christmas dog treats! Don’t worry, I don’t believe in the good ole guy but it sure doesn’t hurt for her to think I do. 🙂 I score the best homemade dog biscuits.
Anyway we had a nice walk , generally mom only takes to over to the high school next door. This time she took me down the road past her mechanic and his kids house and down to the water where her and my best friend Joey goes with his mom Mary.
Last summer she came down this way to let Green balloons go in memory of a a little six year old who was murdered by his mother. Tragic. People from all over came to set green balloons free for the little boy . Think it was around dinner time cuz if I remember right, I was worried again, about my belly of course. I seem to worry about that all the time.
My friend Joey always knows exactly when he’s going to eat everyday. Not necessarily in my situation. My mom doesn’t have the memory she use to. She was in a head on collision with a car a awhile ago that effected her short term memory. Thank goodness she has me around to remind her of things. If I don’t get on her around noon I can forget it. I think she has only missed my lunch one or two times. Well, need to take a nap. Mom’ been up cooking, which means the homemade Christmas dog treats will be here soon! I’ll have sweet dreams about those homemade dog biscuits.
Not because of the weather. 🙂